Saturday, June 3, 2017

Good Intentions, Bad Follow Through

I love spending time with my Little Man!  Since starting this blog and since my last post, we have had another Little Guy join the mix and it has been an exciting journey along the way.  Needless to say, a lot has changed since my last post.

I love to golf.  Unfortunately, I haven't really had a chance to do it since my oldest came into the picture.  I've said on a number of occasions that I really need to get out and swing the clubs again with some of my golfing friends.  The problem is, I've never had great follow through on my best intentions with doing that and hence my clubs are still collecting dust in the shed waiting for me to love them once more.  In seems that when I want to get out and play a round that something more important always seems to pop up and keep me from making it a reality.

With my sons, I always have great ideas of stuff that I want to do with them or for them.  The same could be said for my wife and how I want to keep her happy by doing things for her.  For example, I have had a honey do list that has been in the works since early last spring.  A year later, and many of those things are still on the list.  The truth is, I have great intentions of getting them done, but something always seems to become a greater priority then what is on that list.  I would love to say that it was playing golf, but that is not the case.  I have great intentions, but my follow through isn't always the best.  This can make for some very tense situations as my wife's love language is Acts of Service.  If you don't know what I am talking about, click here to find out more.  It is worth the read.  The truth is, my lack of follow through is laziness and I need to really change my behaviours if I want to make my marriage the best that it can be.  I need to pick up my weight and do my part.  It holds true for whatever I do.  Whether it is playing with my kids or my work ethic for the company I work for, I need to give my best in order to hold my own.  My follow through makes the difference.

I say all of this to inspire me to be a better person this year.  I want to be a better husband.  I want to be a better father.  I want to be a better employee.  I want to be better.  We should always try to find ways to improve so that in the game of life, our best intentions don't get stuck in the sand trap, but instead wind up on the green.  If anything, I hope my rambling today has encouraged you to take a look at yourself and see what opportunities that you have to follow through on some of your good intentions.  You never know what will happen when you take that extra effort and invest, not only in yourself, but also in the lives of those people that you're in contact with.  It could wind up making all the difference in how things land for you in the future.

Maybe I will get out for that round of golf this year, but if I don't, I hope it was because I was too busy getting that honey-do list completed.  My family will always bring me more joy then any round of golf could ever bring!


And that's a fact, Jack!




No comments:

Post a Comment